Wednesday, July 5, 2017

ACK! Where has my brain gone!?

And here I am, second month in a row, forgetting it is Insecure Writer's First Wednesday, so I apologize! I am coming in tardy, but that is better than what happened in June.

My insecurity this month is huge. I managed a week of diligent writing and then just got caught up in summer. It has been a good month, but totally undisciplined. How does a person get the discipline back when it has fallen? I was SO GOOD for SO LONG. But I haven't finished a new novel in almost two years. I did manage a couple editing rounds. But I need to get back to WRITING regularly!

Anybody else having trouble?
See how smart I am?

And now for the question of the month: What is one valuable lesson you've learned since you started writing?

Be yourself. Emulating admired authors is tempting, but they will always be them better than you, but NOBODY can be YOU better than you.

Now go visit some people who deserve it!!!

13 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Better late than never, right? :)

Don't be too hard on yourself! Just try to get back on a good track and go from there.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You made it!
I've not worked on much in the past two years either. A couple short stories. Just start where you are and see what happens.

Nick Wilford said...

You'll get back in the game. Just needs the right idea to come along. And great advice! You have to be totally yourself.

Anonymous said...

I'm scheduling it on my calendar and setting a timer so I actually get it done.

Helena said...

You're back!

And I haven't written new stuff in a long time, either. Just editing and proofing, which for me takes forever.

What valuable lesson have a I learned about writing? Not to put it ahead of living my life, I guess.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I haven't finished a book in a while either. Too busy playing publisher.

Adrienne Reiter said...

Happy IWSG day! I've completed a manuscript, and have been procrastinating the second comb through. I'm trying so hard not to start another project, and be more disciplined with this current piece. Thankfully, San Francisco summers are mostly over-cast and chilly. Fall is the "can't keep butt in chair season" for me (our warmest season).

Tamara Narayan said...

I'm in the same boat. I haven't started a new novel in years even though I have two solid ideas that deserve my time. I've been blogging, editing, wrote a couple of short stories, and mostly wasting time. I need to get it together.

Trisha said...

I've finished new novels...but my problem has been editing old ones, or rather, NOT editing old ones. I've been on a streak lately though and I'm loving it. I'm letting one freshly edited novel sit now, and trying to get another to behave itself. It keeps wriggling out of my control! But yes, I had literally years of feeling stuck and unable to do work on my creative stuff all that much.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Good lesson. I'm struggling to write as much as I was a few months ago. Determined ot change that this week.

Mandy said...

Totally sucks that we can't be our favorite writers. They are so good! :)

With Love,
Mandy

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I agree about emulating, but your favorite authors can sure inspire.

Misha Gerrick said...

Yeah I know the feeling. I lost my momentum about a year ago, and it's been a struggle to get things moving ever since. :-(